Israeli drone strikes kill four people in southern Lebanon | Israel attacks Lebanon News

Date:

Share post:

The state news agency reports at least four people have been killed in two separate attacks in the country’s south as Israel says it targeted Hezbollah operatives.

Lebanon’s Ministry of Public Health has said that at least four people have been killed in two separate Israeli strikes in south Lebanon, as Israel claimed it struck Hezbollah operatives.

Thursday’s strikes were the latest in a series of deadly attacks in south Lebanon, despite a November ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah after more than a year of hostilities, including two months of open war.

An “Israeli enemy strike on a car in Yohmor al-Shaqeef led to the death of three people”, said a Health Ministry statement reported by the National News Agency (NNA) on Thursday.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  Peru declares state of emergency as violent crimewave engulfs Lima | News

The NNA said an “enemy drone” targeted a vehicle near the town, in a strike that came at the same time as artillery shelling.

Elsewhere, the Israeli military said in a statement that “several Hezbollah terrorists were identified transferring weapons in the area of Yohmor in southern Lebanon”, adding that the army “struck the terrorists”.

On Thursday morning, the NNA also reported that “one person was killed and another wounded in the Israeli drone targeting … of a car in the town [of] Maaroub”, also in south Lebanon.

Israel has continued to carry out raids in Lebanon since the November 27 ceasefire, striking what it says are Hezbollah military targets that violated the agreement. But most of the victims have been civilians.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  Philippine VP Duterte’s backers ask Supreme Court to throw out impeachment | Rodrigo Duterte News

Earlier this month, the Health Ministry said an Israeli attack killed two people in the Yohmor area, as the Israeli military said it struck two Hezbollah operatives.

Ramp up in fighting

Last weekend saw the most intense escalation since the truce, with Israeli strikes on south Lebanon killing eight people.

Israel said those raids were in response to rocket fire, the first to hit its territory since the ceasefire.

No party has claimed responsibility for the rocket fire, which a military source said originated north of the Litani River, between the villages of Kfar Tebnit and Arnoun, near the zone covered by the ceasefire deal.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  US appeals court weighs Trump’s deportations under Alien Enemies Act | Donald Trump News

Hezbollah, which has been weakened by the war, denied involvement.

Under the ceasefire, Hezbollah agreed to pull its forces north of the Litani River, about 30 kilometres (18 miles) from the Israeli border and dismantle any remaining military infrastructure in the south.

Israel was to withdraw its forces across the United Nations-demarcated Blue Line, the de facto border, but still holds five positions in south Lebanon that it deems “strategic”.

Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said on Wednesday: “We will not accept the continued [Israeli] occupation.

“There is no room for normalisation or surrender in Lebanon,” he said in a televised address.

Source link

Facebook Comments Box

Related articles

Trump unveils sweeping global tariffs on so-called ‘Liberation Day’

US President Donald Trump brandished a chart as he announced sweeping new tariffs on goods coming to America. Source...

Hungary to withdraw from International Criminal Court | Gaza

NewsFeedHungary announced it will end its membership of the International Criminal Court as it staged a red-carpet welcome...

Fed up with surging gang violence, thousands of Haitians hit the streets | Crime News

Armed gangs control about 85 percent of the capital, Port-au-Prince, according to the UN.Thousands of Haitians have taken...

Deadly Israeli air attack on UNRWA clinic in Gaza | Gaza

NewsFeedAl Jazeera’s Moath al-Kahlout reports on the aftermath of an Israeli attack on an UNRWA clinic sheltering displaced...