Israel bombs Lebanon’s Beirut again, testing fragile truce with Hezbollah | Hamas News

Date:

Share post:

Lebanese officials say the attack on Dahiyeh killed at least three people and wounded seven others.

Israel’s military has bombed the Lebanese capital, Beirut, for the second time in a week, killing at least three people and threatening the ceasefire it agreed with Hezbollah four months ago.

The attack on Beirut’s southern suburb of Dahiyeh, early on Tuesday morning, came without warning and wounded at least seven others, according to the Lebanese Ministry of Health.

The Israeli military said in a statement that it had targeted a Hezbollah member who had been helping the Palestinian group Hamas in the Gaza Strip plan attacks against Israeli civilians.

It said the air raid was carried out “under the direction of the Shin Bet”, Israel’s domestic intelligence agency.

There was no immediate comment from Hezbollah.

Lebanon’s President Joseph Aoun condemned the latest assault, calling it a “dangerous warning” of Israel’s intentions against his country.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  Joy in Israel, restrictions in Palestine for released captives, prisoners | Israel-Palestine conflict News

“Israel’s persistence in its aggression requires more effort from us in addressing Lebanon’s friends around the world and rallying them in support of our right to full sovereignty over our land,” Aoun said in a statement.

Videos of the aftermath of the bombing showed plumes of smoke rising from Dahiyeh.

They also showed damage to the top three floors of an apartment building and piles of debris covering cars below the structure.

The latest attack came three days after Israeli forces bombed Beirut for the first time since the ceasefire deal with Hezbollah in November.

That agreement, guaranteed by France and the United States, brought a halt to a yearlong conflict and mandated that Israeli ground troops withdraw from southern Lebanon. It also called for Hezbollah fighters to withdraw from southern Lebanon and for Lebanese troops deploy to the area.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  What is happening with talks between Israel, the US and Hamas? | Israel-Palestine conflict News

Israel, however, delayed a promised troop withdrawal in January and has continued to occupy several hilltops in Lebanon. It has also carried out near-daily attacks on the country, claiming its targets are Hezbollah fighters and weapons.

Its military launched the attack on Beirut on Friday saying the raid was in response to rockets fired from Lebanon.

Hezbollah has denied any involvement in the rocket firings.

Its leader, Sheikh Naim Kassem, also warned on Saturday that if Israel’s attacks on Lebanon continued and if Lebanon’s government does not act to stop them, the group would eventually resort to other alternatives.

Analysts meanwhile blamed Israel’s continued attacks on Lebanon on a lack of action from the US.

Phyllis Bennis, a fellow with the Institute for Policy Studies, told Al Jazeera that the Trump administration has effectively greenlighted Israel’s attacks on Lebanon, as well as in occupied Palestinian territory and Syria.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  Three buses explode in Israel’s Bat Yam

“There’s no question that the Trump administration has made very clear that they will not criticise Israel. They will not stop sending the weapons that enable it to continue these attacks,” she said from Washington, DC.

“What we’re seeing now is really an extension of the genocidal war that Israel has been waging in Gaza, to Lebanon, where they’re not only carrying out the attacks in the capital, but have expanded the former UN buffer zone,” she said.

Israel has now “unilaterally collapsed the ceasefire” in Lebanon, but both France and the US – the guarantors of the deal – have stood back and let the Israeli assaults continue, without taking any punitive action, she added.

This picture taken early on April 1, 2025 shows a damaged building after an Israeli strike in southern Beirut. Israel's military said it carried out a strike on a southern suburb of the Lebanese capital Beirut targeting a Hezbollah operative, the second such strike since a November ceasefire. (Photo by Ibrahim AMRO / AFP)
A damaged building after an Israeli attack in southern Beirut, April 1, 2025 [Ibrahim Amro/AFP]



Source link

Facebook Comments Box

Related articles

Trump unveils sweeping global tariffs on so-called ‘Liberation Day’

US President Donald Trump brandished a chart as he announced sweeping new tariffs on goods coming to America. Source...

Hungary to withdraw from International Criminal Court | Gaza

NewsFeedHungary announced it will end its membership of the International Criminal Court as it staged a red-carpet welcome...

Fed up with surging gang violence, thousands of Haitians hit the streets | Crime News

Armed gangs control about 85 percent of the capital, Port-au-Prince, according to the UN.Thousands of Haitians have taken...

Deadly Israeli air attack on UNRWA clinic in Gaza | Gaza

NewsFeedAl Jazeera’s Moath al-Kahlout reports on the aftermath of an Israeli attack on an UNRWA clinic sheltering displaced...