Iran rejects direct nuclear talks with Trump, open to indirect negotiations | Politics News

Date:

Share post:

US president threatens Iran with bombings if Tehran does not come to a nuclear agreement with Washington.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has ruled out direct negotiations with the administration of US President Donald Trump over the country’s nuclear programme but signalled a willingness for indirect talks, while Trump threatened bombings and secondary tariffs if Tehran does not come to an agreement with Washington.

“We responded to the US president’s letter via Oman and rejected the option of direct talks, but we are open to indirect negotiations,” Pezeshkian said during a cabinet meeting in Tehran on Sunday.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  Israeli soldiers roll Palestinian car off cliff in occupied West Bank | Israel-Palestine conflict

He stressed that while Iran is not against negotiations in principle, Washington must first rectify its past “misconduct” and rebuild trust.

His remarks, reported by the ISNA news agency, come amid escalating tensions between the two nations.

“If they don’t make a deal, there will be bombing,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC on Sunday.

“But there’s a chance that if they don’t make a deal, that I will do secondary tariffs on them like I did four years ago.”

Earlier in March, Trump had written to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, warning that Tehran must either agree to fresh negotiations or face a military confrontation.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  Syria hit with nationwide power outage amid grid failures | News

Khamenei dismissed the ultimatum, insisting that Iran would only engage in talks through intermediaries.

In his first term as US president in 2017-2021, Trump withdrew the US from a 2015 deal between Iran and world powers that placed strict limits on Tehran’s disputed nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief.

After Trump pulled out of the deal in 2018 and reimposed sweeping US sanctions, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said that Iran had amassed enough fissile material for multiple bombs but had made no effort to build one.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  One dead, eight sickened in Uganda’s new Ebola outbreak | Health News

Iran has said its nuclear programme is wholly for civilian energy purposes.

Iran’s economy has been battered by sanctions, with observers suggesting that only a breakthrough in negotiations with Washington could lead to any relief.

Kamal Kharrazi, an adviser to Iran’s Ayatollah Khamenei, said that Tehran had “not closed all doors” to negotiations.

“It is ready for indirect negotiations with the United States in order to evaluate the other party, state its own conditions and make the appropriate decision,” said the adviser, according to state media.

Source link

Facebook Comments Box

Related articles

India’s Modi, Bangladesh’s Yunus hold first talks since 2024 uprising | Narendra Modi News

Modi says he wants a ‘positive and constructive relationship’ with Bangladesh, where pro-India Hasina was ousted last year.India’s...

Russia stalls ceasefire talks as it intensifies attacks on Ukraine | Russia-Ukraine war News

Russia has added new conditions for a ceasefire to a litany of existing ones, prompting United States President...

South Korea court formally removes President Yoon over martial law

South Korea’s President Yoon Suk-yeol was formally removed from office by the country’s Constitutional Court on Friday. Source link...

South Korea “has a desire to move on” from disgraced president

Professor Robert Kelly says South Koreans are relieved they can move on from their impeached president. Source link