Barcelona held by Betis, miss chance to extend LaLiga lead over Real Madrid | Football News

Date:

Share post:

LaLiga league leaders Barcelona are held at home by Real Betis after Madrid are beaten by Valencia.

Barcelona were held at home by Real Betis to a 1-1 draw as the Spanish LaLiga leaders failed to fully capitalise on a shock defeat for Real Madrid earlier in the day.

The defending champions were beaten 2-1 in Spain’s capital on Saturday by a Valencia side who recorded their first away win of the season.

The shock result for Madrid was softened hours later when Hansi Flick’s side extended its lead to only four points, with both teams having played 30 games.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  A Reel War: Israeli filmmaker’s search for stolen Palestinian films | Israel-Palestine conflict

There are eight rounds left of the LaLiga season, including a Clasico in May.

In a matchup of the hottest teams in LaLiga, Betis rallied to pull level and then withstood a second-half onslaught at Barcelona.

Gavi Paez drilled a low strike home after a nice set-up by Ferran Torres to give Barcelona the lead in the seventh minute.

Soccer Football - LaLiga - FC Barcelona v Real Betis - Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys, Barcelona, Spain - April 5, 2025 FC Barcelona's Gavi scores their first goal REUTERS/Albert Gea
Barcelona’s Gavi scores their first goal [Albert Gea/Reuters]

Fifth-placed Betis levelled through Natan’s header 10 minutes later, and goalkeeper Adrian San Miguel and former Barcelona defender Marc Bartra turned back a slew of shots by the hosts to split the points.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  Trump announces US crypto reserve: What it is, and why it matters | Donald Trump News

“It’s clear, if we had won, we would be further ahead, but this is football,” Gavi said about missing the chance to move six points clear. “We had our chances, but couldn’t convert and leave with a bitter taste in our mouths.”

Real coach Carlo Ancelotti admitted following the defeat by Valencia that the defence of their title is now under serious pressure.

The Italian added that his players will not give up on their LaLiga aspirations.

আরও পড়ুনঃ  Slave Scammers | True Crime Reports | Crime

“It is much harder now to fight for the league, but we only have one idea and that is to fight until the end because we still have a chance after this game,” Ancelotti said.

Barcelona hosts Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday in the Champions League quarterfinals, while Real Madrid take on Arsenal on Tuesday.

Also in LaLiga on Saturday, Celta Vigo won at Mallorca 2-1, while Alaves won at Girona 1-0.

Source link

Facebook Comments Box

Related articles

Heavy floods in DR Congo’s Kinshasa leave dozens dead, destroy homes | Climate News

The capital struggles as the Ndjili River overflows, leaving drivers stranded, and infrastructure collapses.Heavy rains have triggered severe...

How Musk ushered 4chan into US politics | Elon Musk

In the past few days, US media have been reporting that billionaire Elon Musk will step back from...

I am not a number, I am a real story from Gaza. Remember it | Israel-Palestine conflict News

I’ve been thinking about writing a will. I didn’t expect to feel death so close to me. I used...

Tens of thousands march in anti-Trump protests across the US | Protests

NewsFeedTen of thousands of protesters joined ‘Hands Off’ rallies across the United States to express anger at President...